Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
Toast

OFFICIAL Rule Change Idea Thread. Player opinions wanted HERE.

Ok guys.

We have had players come up time and again requesting rule changes over the years. The staff were talking about edits the other nite and i wanted to make this thread to see where the community is right now and how they feel. Any rule changes have the potential to have far negative consequences and there is so much to consider when changing them. Everything is intertwined and one small change can effect tons of other things. This is a very complex game and even making rule additions creates so much more to learn.  i would like anyone who has any ideas they think can improve our system to feel free to post it here.

Please read the following before posting on this thread

You are not allowed on this thread, to respond to other posters posts. If you have an idea that is different than someone else's, please make your own post in the exact format below. If you attempt to quote anything from anyone else, it will be hidden by a staff member.

If you like a change that someone else presents, please like their post. You are free to make rule suggestion changes about ANY rule we have. This is not about discussion, but a forum for you to present your original ideas.

What i would like is for you to copy and paste the following template and fill it out. If you do not use this template, your post will be hidden by a staff member.

The current rule -
Why it does not work properly -
How to fix it -
How it will improve roleplay -
How it will make things easier - 
In your opinion, will it create more to learn - 
What are the potential negative consequences -

• Like 6

Why it does not work properly - Clothing initiation would be hard to do as everyone likes different factions whether it be Rebel clothing, Smuggler clothing or stuff from arms dealer. Forcing a gang or group of friends to all be a smuggler or rebel etc to have group inititation wouldn't work In my opinion 

Gang tag initiation would also be tough to do mid combat trying to tilde people and see if they aren't friendly, maybe a mix of gang tag and hostile actions ?? Those are my opinions 

• Like 2

The current rule - Support(snipers, vehicles) must be initiated outside 100m for both sides
Why it does not work properly -
How to fix it - When 1 side announces outside support, it should automatically be initiated for both parties
How it will improve roleplay - This may make people rethink initiating outside support because that would initiate it for everyone.
How it will make things easier - "
In your opinion, will it create more to learn - No
What are the potential negative consequences - None

• Like 28

The issue there is that some of these rules a slippery slope to easy failrp being explained. If your proposedog changes rely on another rule existing as well please state that too. I see some that require gang tag initiation to work well already.

• Like 4

The current rule - This is a roleplay server, you life is valuable and you need to roleplay whenever possible.

Why it does not work properly - It works, but to a certain extent. A lot of times you will see people in game not valuing their life at all and in addition role playing to the bear minimum. In my opinion this is because this rule doesn't tend to be enforced enough.

How to fix it - Enforce the rule to where it is mandatory to value your life if you are for example, getting robbed, taken hostage, etc. In addition something I noticed other servers have in place, is a rule that states you are not allowed to rob someone/be hostile towards someone if you do not have a legitimate reason to do so. So for example you would be able to just rob someone because you see its a certain gang, or initiate on a civ just because you want to kill them. Instead you would want to steal their guns or take their really nice car they have. For roleplay, if a player is seen interacting with someone very poorly and is not putting any effort forth to have a good interaction, they can be warned in some way to fix their way of interacting.

How it will improve roleplay - If this rule would be more enforced, players will be forced to put their best roleplay on the line at all times. This will increase the experience drastically, instead of hearing someone initiate and just have a shoot out, you will have people actually role playing and trying to negotiate with people. On the topic of valuing your life, this again would make for a better roleplay experience since everyone would be obligated to try and stay alive rather than see if they can spray and pray the other group. I remember a rule from another server for valuing your life and it was something like, "if someone has a visible gun pointed at you in a hostile manner, you must value your life and co operate." Obviously this could lead to abuse of the rule, but that rule doesn't necessarily mean you cannot counter attack, just not immediately.

How it will make things easier - More people will be role playing instead of trying to look for bloodshed, along with the value of life rule I think the interactions in game even the non lethal ones will be much better, and much more enjoyable for everybody.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn - Yes, depending on the players roleplay skills and how new they are, this will need the player to learn how to properly interact with people in game with a sense of fairness and just in general good RP.

What are the potential negative consequences - The biggest problem I can see happening is that people would abuse the value of life rule to where they would immediately initiate on someone so that they cannot shoot back at them. With roleplay, I would see a lot of people potentially getting mad when they are told they are not role playing well enough or aren't putting their best roleplay forth. 

• Like 6

The current rule - Text Initiation on a ground vehicle.
Why it does not work properly - The current system is an air vehicle/ground unit with AT/ground unit in general can text a ground vehicle to "stop or be engaged" "stop get out with your hands up or be engaged'. This gives a huge disadvantage to the ground vehicle because it is at the mercy of whatever heli is in the air or long range AT launcher. In a current system an armed heli such as an orca or blackfoot can text a ground vehicle stop or be engaged, and the heli has the most power and control in the situation. A person can bring a kajiman to a convoy or airdrop and come just to kill people or prevent people from leaving with the loot. Armed helis/jets should be used for support and not as OP weapons that one or two people can use on anybody.
How to fix it - Make it so you cannot text ground vehicles commands or initiation messages. If you want to be able to AT or use an armed heli on a ground vehicle, a ground unit or vehicle must initiate through direct chat/voice.
How it will improve roleplay - It would put air vehicles in a more support role than an op weapon a rich player can use. If a person or people only use an armed heli at an event or encounter, then they are there to only kill people and they were not that invested in it anyway. If a ground team is required to initiate on a land vehicle to use the heli then you will see less armed helis and more vehicular ground combat, helis would still be useful for support and people doing runs or just driving around wont have rich rebels initiating on them in the safety of the armed heli/air vehicle.
How it will make things easier - Less complaints from new players about armed air vehicles/AT, more balanced fights on ground between new and veteran gangs, you will see a greater use of armed offroads, hmgs, and other armed ground vehicles.
In your opinion, will it create more to learn - Players would only need to know that you cannot text ground vehicles commands or initiation messages. You would have to initiated in person by chat or voice.
What are the potential negative consequences - There could possibly be long car chases on ground with the chasing team trying to initiate so the air vehicle can support. (I think this is a plus I like car chases)

• Like 4

The current rule - Martial Law requires both sides agreement.

Why it does not work properly - This rule's requirement makes no sense. Martial Law is a defensive measure taken in drastic situations where peace and order must be restored. In terms of RP the requirement of the rebel's approval makes no sense.

How to fix it - remove the requirement and replace it with approval of sergeant or above.

How it will improve roleplay - Martial Law is like a mini-event in itself and we could use more unique moments on the server.

How it will make things easier - Martial Law is meant for those moments of anarchy that overwhelm the police department. Since the city would at that moment be overwhelmed, and strategic positions occupied by rebels, it is extremely difficult to survive through simple initiation.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn - not at all.

What are the potential negative consequences - complains about PD being "OP". Notice however that Martial Law would rarely be announced and only after the PD has been wiped multiple times. So I fail to see how an over powered department could be wiped so many times.

• Like 6

The current rule - Initiation of Air Support

Why it does not work properly? -

Some aircraft have weapon systems capable of accurately firing DAGR, (Lock On) type missiles from extremely long ranges. I believe that this can be extremely overpowered to opponent ground vehicles who do not have the weapon platforms or countermeasures to combat such capabilities.

How to fix it? -

Option A: Aircraft that carry guided missile weapon platforms, i.e. Blackfoot, Kajman, Assorted Jets, should have a distance limit on how far away these aircraft are allowed to fire these weapon systems at a target. Exact distance would need to be discussed so a fair option is implemented. Exception of air to air combat.

Option B: Players would be required, when they initiate, to specify that their support has guided missile capability.

How it will improve roleplay? -

Option A: This will prevent players in their vehicles from being engaged by something so far away that they cant even see it. It will make gang members think twice about using their aircraft to engage targets because the limited firing distance would force them close enough where players have a chance to return fire with shoulder fired anti air missiles, vehicle weapon platforms, or small arms. This is my preferred option as it helps to protect the underdogs of the server from being constantly dominated by better equipment and still allows the players with access to these high end aircraft to be able to utilize them and enjoy blowing things up, just with a higher risk of receiving return fire.

Option B: Implementing this option would give the receiving players an extra "scare factor." This would make players think twice about disobeying the initiators commands because now they know they have a DAGR ready to track them wherever they go. Instead of saying a basic "stop or be destroyed" initiators would be required to say something along the lines of "stop or you will be locked on and engaged by guided missiles." The second phrase is a lot more intimidating for the initiatee. This changes the way the initiatee perceives their threat. Instead of thinking "Oh, they are probably going to just spray and pray at my tires" to "Holy shit I better listen to these guys, they mean serious business." This should encourage players in, i.e. an Offroad, to pull over and play the situation out, instead of going balls to the wall with a suicidal escape attempt. This would also help to reinforce the "your life is valuable and you need to roleplay whenever possible" phrase that seems to be getting forgotten these days. I mean, if I knew that I had a Blackfoot ready to rain hell down on my pleb ass I would be a lot more willing to comply to orders than if all I suspected was a couple of hopped up rebels with itchy trigger fingers ready to shoot my tires out.

How it will make things easier? -

Option A: Implementing this rule will help to ease the gap between the "well established rebel gangs" and the "less established players." This rule wont allow people with access to better vehicles to confidently fly around and dominate most situations. It will give the less equipped players a fighting chance against these superior aircraft and would also increase the risk for the players utilizing these aircraft because they would not be able to take advantage of their superior weapon systems to create an extreme disadvantage for their opponents.

Option B: This option will help to strengthen the RP between initiator and initiatee by implementing as little restriction as possible. By doing so, it should decrease the amount of players complaining about "OP missiles this" and "OP aircraft that." By at least giving players a knowledge of what they are going up against this should make them think twice about trying to run for it. P.S. This also will hopefully make the gangs think twice about shooting someone that stopped and complied ;).

In your opinion, will it create more to learn? -

Option A: Just training pilots to keep an eye on the distance between the aircraft and its target. Just as players have had to learn to keep an eye on their distance from green zones, red zones, robberies, feds, and normally initiated shootouts.

Option B: Just the changing of how texts are worded.

What are the potential negative consequences? -

Option A: This option could potentially be putting too much of a strain on pilots by restricting their engagement distance and forcing them to figure out how far away they are. This option could also leave players with access to the aircraft feeling as though they are being forced to give away advantages that they worked for and bought for themselves. These could leave some players feeling "too restricted" or that "their equipment has been nerfed."

Option B: Would give opponent players a general idea of what the initiators bring to the table, but that's exactly the same thing that the 100m rule on the ground causes.

P.S. If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to shoot me a PM. Thanks for your time!

• Like 5

The current rule - Not a current rule. A new rule.

An individual (rebel) may only participate in one "federal reserve" roleplay per X amount of time or per restart. When the cops re-lock the vault, it becomes new RP session.

Why it does not work properly - Currently, the cops get overwhelmed participating in any fed. Add on to that, they must contend with landing at kavala and immideately having to take back off again to go back to the fed because the rebels restarted it. Sometimes the police dont even get to leave the fed area before the rebels are back and killing them to re-boltcutter the door. Another main issue is that cops are required to stay logged in under threat of punishment when a fed starts. Feds take a minimum of 45 minutes and after that, many of them need to log to either take a break, or participate in out of game functions personally. Under our current lack of rules, cops can get forced to stay on the server in excess of two hours.

The use of consistently going back to the fed by some rebels and rebel groups has been used as a troll activity in the past as well. This troll activity ties up the entire police force of the server for a minimum of 45 minutes.

How to fix it - Add a rule so  that an individual may only participate in one fed per X amount of time or once per restart.

How it will improve roleplay - Any time the cops do a fed, the city of kavala burns to the ground. The first thing cops have to do after returning from fed is go clean up the giant mess in kavala from their lack of presence. When cops have to do multiple feds back to back, the RP for the civilians and newer players suffers. 

How it will make things easier - It will make things incredibly easier for the police who have a huge plate full of duties. As stated, after a fed, cops need to go back to kavala and clean up. IT will make it easier for them to get back to participating in civ RP. Cops who need to logoff and take a break can do so as well. Anyone who has ever played as cop knows that even after a successful fed,  the last thing you want to do is another one. They are very exhausting and take alot out of you. Its not fair to these players who have dedicated their time to become the dedicated RP whitelist faction.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn - This is a quck and easy rule that would spread fast

What are the potential negative consequences - You might see a complaint from a player or two who doesn't understand what its like to be forced to stay on the server or has never dealt with that headache. However it would be met with universal godlike praise from anyone who has ever played as cop.

• Like 27

The current rule - NLR
Why it does not work properly - Its not that it doesn't work its that its very one sided. At least for Cops. When a civ gets killed by another Civ,Rebel or Cop they spawn in a rebel area gear up and drive to anywhere on the map except for where the last situation was or like most of the time because they spawn so far away from where they died they just go straight back and the timer is already off or has very little time left on it. Now for the cops mainly the ones that patrol Kavala the timer hinders roleplay and the amount of situations you get purely based off of no travel time in between patrols. All Cops avoid this by just sitting in base but while they're doing that you are constantly listening over comms about new situations ,and you can't even go to those even though the situation you died at has been code 4 and the people involved are dead or long gone ,so their "immersion" can't be broken anymore!
How to fix it - Reduce the timer for cops and civs alike because i don't want to be biased even though this rule hinders cops more. Right now at 10 minutes you have to wait between 2-3 minutes for respawn then you have to gear up and after you do that your timer is between 5-6 minutes left. Now if it was reduced by 5 minutes that offer less of a time sitting on your ass waiting for the timer to tick down and more time going out to RP and have more fun.
How it will improve roleplay - It offers more of it in general because Cops aren't just sitting in PD as long as they used to and Civs can RP more with the officers and each other when they're isn't such a LONG time between going to other areas.
How it will make things easier - You don't have to stay out of an area for longer that could potentially have a lot of RP going on in it ,and NLR isn't really enforced  on Civs as much as it is on Cops so it would make it easier so Civs aren't really breaking as many rules if any and Cops have less time sitting in PD and more out having fun and RPing.
In your opinion, will it create more to learn -  No.
What are the potential negative consequences - Civ VS Cop firefights being dragged on because they keep coming back but that shit still happens at 10 minutes.

• Like 1

The current rule - Not a current, more of a new rule and adding onto Toast's post

Why it does not work properly - Currently Feds can be triggered back to back, and even at the same time as a CDC. While some rebels abuse being able to break into the Fed multiple times in a server restart, it is not roleplay friendly.  Cops get tired of responding to multiple feds, when their time can be spent elsewhere.

How to fix it - Code the Federal Reserve and CDC to only allow them to be broken into ONCE per server restart.

How it will improve roleplay - If a Federal Reserve was in fact robbed somewhere in the real world, that country would likely respond with military force, and keep a militarized presence there afterwards.  As a server, we do not have the luxury of keeping a permanent post of police at the federal reserve.  With that being said, the next logical choice would be to move the gold to another location to protect it.  Therefore, there would be no gold on subsequent robberies.

How it will make things easier - It would limit to cops' response to a fed event to a maximum of two per restart (one fed, one CDC).  It would also add another dynamic to rebels organizing feds, and force more rebel-on-rebel fighting if one gang wants the gold but another is currently robbing it.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn - No.  If coded, a simple message would appear when trying to bolt-cut the door saying the fed was recently robbed and there is no gold in the vault.

What are the potential negative consequences - Some rebels may not be able to perform a fed if one was done already that restart.  This falls in the same line as a gold convoy.  There's no guarantee you'll be able to do a gold convoy during server uptime, so there shouldn't be a guarantee for the fed as well.  Also, it would increase the chances of a smaller gang's fed being hijacked by a larger gang so they get the gold that restart.  All of these are already possibilities, it would just increase the risk of performing a fed.  To help offset the risk, the fed and CDC could have a slight increase on the gold spawned throughout the restart.

• Like 18

The current rule - Bounty of prior life carrying over to new life.

Why it does not work properly - As we are expected to take on a new life upon dying, it's completely illogical to have our past dealings carry over. According to the rules we are supposed to act as if we have no memory of prior incidents, yet all charges based on prior incidents carry over. That's a very big double standard if you ask me. 

How to fix it - I've noticed more so during the day when police officers are on, they seem to a bit bored with not having much to do. This could be used as time to investigate perhaps individuals with high bounties/high profile criminals that need to be taken down. Maybe implement some sort of most wanted list so that Police could decide to target a certain criminal they believe needs to be brought to justice. 

How it will improve roleplay - If there is some sort of Most Wanted list then Police can decide to set up sting operations, or plan on how they might actively engage a certain target. Roleplay could also improve with police officers looking for witnesses that may have seen a particular criminal in a certain area or commit certain crimes. 

How it will make things easier - It's not necessarily making things easier, but making them more realistic.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn - Certainly. 

What are the potential negative consequences - I understand this is a highly exploitable feature and people will kill themselves in order to get their bounty taken off (which is a completely dick thing to do). But if some sort of Most Wanted list is implemented, I'm sure it could be closely monitored to see which players may be exploiting this feature. Based on if their bounty disappears and how they died prior to it being cleared. 

Hi there,

I think tonight's fed has shed some MORE light on a common issue we are having with helping to defend the federal reserve, while keeping the integrity of Role Play, as well as the fairness to players, intact. 

The current rule
Upon a Federal Reserve robbery, APD responding units are required to initiate support verbally in order to assist at over 100+ meters.

Why it does not work properly
Often, I have experienced that officers responding to fed will be killed prior to us being able to initiate support. Tonight underlined that issue when 4-5 officers were killed from towers, inside their vehicles, upon approaching the walls. This forced the support units in the area to be unable to engage due to our initiation rules, however allowing the robbers to freely kill Officers upon arrival.

How to fix it
I would suggest ammending or creating a new initiation rule for the Federal Reserve ONLY where SUPPORT INITIATION is automatically applied upon firing at a responding APD member or their vehicle. This would only apply within the confines of the Federal Reserve, and not to every day occurrences throughout Altis.

How it will improve roleplay
This is more realistic and it allows better PVP for both the APD and the robbers.

How it will make things easier
It will allow the APD to engage hostiles within the Fed walls, without having to worry about 100+ meter initiation rule.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn?
Playerbase will need to be aware of the new rules, however, it is a simple one.

What are the potential negative consequences
None that I can forsee as long as the rule is worded and structured properly to pertain to Federal Reserve Robberies, that the rule is inside the walls only, and that initiation begins once an officer verbally initiates OR is fired upon by the robbers of the Federal Reserve.

Thanks!
[3-28] Colten
Edited by Colten
  • Like 8

Current Rule

You can initiate with voice, direct text chat, or text messages (depends on situation)

So whenever you initiate through direct chat, you often do not know where the person is. Many people, myself included, use this to our advantage and people often do not recognize that we initiated, or don't know where we are. I see this as very unfair, because if you used voice chat you could tell where the person was and you can actually hear the initiation.

How to fix it

Implementing a rule that restricts direct text chat initiation.

In real life someone does not just walk up to you and give you a note saying "hands up or die i got support." They would yell at you with a weapon! This also gives the person you are trying to initiate on an advantage, since they can hear where your voice is coming from.

It would make things easier by knowing when you are initiated on. Whenever I do this, people often call "comp or ban" in side chat, since they did not see the message in direct chat. 

In your opinion, will it create more to learn?

No

What are the potential negative consequences?

People can tell where you are during initiation, but that is good, as it is another downside to initiating on someone.

• Like 20

No rule has been created yet for this situation.

I believe a rule needs to be made, for not being able to knock out players without having a gun in hand. 

For example http://plays.tv/video/5997d4d8e92ffb2054/bs

Its not realistic in any means, it will make the cops jobs a lot easier, for the rebels it really doesn't matter since they can just kill the person who isn't armed and is not complying, but for police officers we cannot shoot anyone who is not armed and is very difficult to prevent these situations.

In my opinion the only negative consequences that would be created if this rule was applied is that people who cannot afford higher end guns and only have pistols will have no chance to defend themselves against the rebels or police officers. 

Edited by Jordan Jay
Didnt see the template.
  • Like 3

The current rule

No current rule or definition.

I believe that the large number and constant flow of complaints related to RDM, VDM, and general mayhem on the server is due to lack of defined terminology unique to the server that accompany very specific rule sets.

Anyone that has been on the server for a few weeks or more has experienced this at some level...a general sense and knowledge of "unspoken rules or procedures".

In this i mean rules that have literally been implemented, and are law according to individuals, gangs or groups that have misinterpreted or restructured current rules to better serve their own agenda, or that have been passed down verbally from one person to the next until the rule or procedure is vague and has multiple definitions and uses.

While this isn't entirely a bad thing as a whole,  I am undeniably a patriot in that I believe all rules ultimately come from the structure of the human condition based on the needs of the environment from which they belong.

How to fix it

It is hard to define what may or not be broken. We don't know there are pieces of the broken mirror missing until we construct the mirror.

The first thing i would like to address is the word INITIATE. This is defined as: To cause or facilitate to beginning of; "Something".

The word and variants of it are used 13 times in the "Altis Life Server Rules". While the definition according to it's use on the server is pretty obvious, how it is used in the different facets of the rules and procedures isn't clear at all.

****************************************************************************************************

The first use of it is used in the:

Valid Roleplay Devices and Usages (Cellphones, direct-chat, voice, side etc)

Altis Life Server Rules. Bullet point 9. 

You are included in the roleplay if you are in a group with a player initiated on within 100m and within visual range

A new person reading this has absolutely no clue what is going to happen here. Especially if that role-play initiation comes through to either the driver or passenger of a boat, car or aircraft via cellphone. I know through experience on the server what this means. It measn when you see this tell everyone in the boat were

Example: My 2nd week on the server i am with 2 other people who started within days of me, so (all new) We were fishing, and while the pilot of the boat is near to docking the boat, and is informed (via Cell) to, "come to shore immediately and surrender". He bounces off the dock and the boat skitters in reverse. The person on land that sent the message opens up on everyone in the boat...2 of us die, the 3rd dove off the boat and escaped. Reading the rule in this situation did no good. Oddly the guy that survived (a close relative) no longer plays on the server. Did we die because the pilot didn't inform us we were being potentially robbed? initiated on? Why would he?

****************************************************************************************************

The third use: Initiating external support. is used in the same section and the 3rd time initiate is used in the rules.

Running into a situation, armed or unarmed, just to initiate external support such as Air Support, Snipers, Other Members in the area, etc is Fail Roleplay and not allowed. This doesn't apply to sneaking around to ambush people and initiate support, or initiating support during a situation. Suicide initiation or Meat-shield Initiation isn't allowed.

To the new person that has to verify they read the rules. WHAT DOES INITIATE EXTERNAL SUPPORT mean? It hasn't been mentioned until now. Again, you need to play the game for a while and be a victim to "existing rules" in order to understand what it means.

To the person that wants to understand the rules (so as not to break them and end up banned) The red section completely contradicts the yellow, especially the green. In fact the green section can clearly be used to nullify the yellow section completely.

Lastly on Support. It is used only 4 times in the context of "Backup" Oddly and unfortunately those 4 times are bold and underlined in the only rule that uses them in that context above.

I cannot guarantee any improvement in role-play. But clarifying some of the rules may make it easier to build and maintain a stronger player base.

It would eliminate the learning curve of understanding what these mean from the perspective of a new player who must read the rules and verify they have read them in order to play.

In your opinion, will it create more to learn

Less to learn, clearly, and in less time and in a more condensed platform. It can eliminate the potential for a lot of abuse of rules that are unclear or defined differently from one person or gang to another.

What are the potential negative consequences

I can see where some of the veteran players who have defined the use of Initiate and support outside of the actual rules would have to relearn "if" the rule changes, or adhere to the rule universally as a whole as it is written, rather than how it is rumored to be, "in this situation this, and in that situation that".

My final word of this subject

This being said, this is defined as an RP server. I know the APD and EMS have to as a rule RP at all times, and the one of the first couple of rules for civilians is RP at all times. It is here i must ab liege to argue. It honestly feels like a PVP server with sprinkled elements of RP most of the time. I play on PVP servers, The one thing that for me defines this server just a little bit differently is; Here you don't know who the enemy is until 5 seconds before they kill you.